Before we got a flock of chickens we needed housing for them. We have a bandsaw mill and lots of trees that needed thinning at our remote land up in the Sierra, so we went up there to get the wood. It was a bit of a process, since winter storms had blown a bunch of trees down:
In addition to the high winds, a fire burned through our property in 2008, leaving lots of dead trees and brush, and pine beetles had been leaving more of the trees weakened and dying. We had plenty to choose from, but also plenty to clean up to get to them.
Once the trees were selected, felled, and limbed, we moved them in sections to the bandsaw mill.
We got this mill as an upgrade from the chainsaw mill we were using originally for cabin-building. It runs along a track, and can be raised and lowered to cut the stationary log.
We picked a nice site for the coop close, but not too close, to the house.
We buried 0.25″ mesh galvanized hardware cloth 1.5 feet deep, to protect the chickens from digging predators.
We used salvaged lumber in addition to the stuff from our property in framing up the coop.
The roof is corrugated galvanized metal.